Posted by 12/12/12 on December 12, 2012 at 10:46:19:
Snippets of what you'll find on Rob Feder's blog entry linked below -
* Phyllis Schwartz is on her way out as vice president and news director of Fox 32. Claiming “strictly personal” reasons for returning to San Diego, where her family lives, Schwartz told staffers Tuesday the decision was hers alone. Assistant news director Chris Myers will serve as interim news director.
* CBS lawyers are holding Eddie and Jobo to the remaining four months of their contracts. They were forced to cancel appearances on WGN Morning News and on Chicago Public Media WBEZ-FM (91.5).
* Ben Larson died November 27 in Arlington Heights. He was 86. Larson spent 10 years at CBS Radio WBBM-AM (780), first as a staff announcer and later as news director. Larson joined Weigel Broadcasting where he launched The Stock Market Observer on WCIU-Channel 26 and hosted the live daily business news show for 22 years.
* Ben Meyerson, editor of the almost defunct Chicago Journal, has landed a new job with Sun-Times Media’s Pioneer Press. Starting January 7, he’ll oversee five of the group’s north suburban weeklies. Dan Haley will fold the Oak Park-based Chicago Journal after this week.
* RE Clear Channel massacre of 2012: “Even one Wall Street guy is appalled — ‘I’m a numbers guy, so I understand the end of a company’s calendar/fiscal year, and there is a superficial “neatness” in making personnel decisions. But putting those decisions into effect can be moved around by weeks, if not months, and not materially impact income statements or balance sheets. What I find hard to understand is how well-paid top executives figure that firing someone between Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukah is anything other than ruthless and uncaring — plus it is unnecessary fiscal timing.’ ”
Post a Followup